Summer Brings Increase in Swallowing Small Objects

June 28, 2017

In the blink of an eye, kids can swallow anything if it's small enough - coins, toys and more - and it happens more than you'd think. Just ask Mercy's Dr. Amana Nasir.

The pediatric gastroenterologist with Mercy Clinic Kids GI recently saw three children who'd each swallowed coins in the span of only two days. Dr. Nasir warns parents - especially with children 3 and under - to keep a closer eye on their little ones.

Warning signs your child might have swallowed something include:

  • Excessive drooling
  • Lack of appetite
  • Stomach aches
  • Vomiting
  • Coughing

Dr. Nasir says in cases where you don't see what the child ingested, use your parenting intuition. If it doesn't seem right, get your child checked out. 

Mercy Kids Dr. Amana Nasir talks with Fox 2 in the Morning about the increase in choking hazards over the summer.

Story Covered by

Our Providers

Amana Nighat Nasir, MD, Mercy
Pediatric Gastroenterology
Mercy Clinic

Media Contacts

Bethany Pope
St. Louis, St. Charles
Page: (314) 251-6000