In 1892, three decades after a Civil War battle raged through the city, an extraordinary effort of a different kind began to take shape in Carthage, Mo.
A charitable group, Faithful Circle of King’s Daughters, began raising funds to build a community hospital. Dr. Robert F. Brooks bolstered the effort, committing his property to the cause. In 1903, the fund received a large donation in tribute to Dr. T.E. McCune, a colleague of Dr. Brooks.
Carthage Hospital welcomed its first patient in 1907. With the 1929 expansion, the hospital was renamed McCune-Brooks Hospital, honoring the doctors who were instrumental in its creation.
Today’s 52-bed facility stands two miles south of the original location and offers thoroughly modern services and amenities. In 2012, McCune-Brooks teamed up with Mercy to form Mercy McCune-Brooks Hospital. The partnership brings expanded services and facilities to the community, improving care for Carthage, as well as residents of Jasper, Newton, Barton, Greene and Lawrence counties.