High School Student Engagement
Details of our new partnership with Southwest Missouri Area Health Education Centers (AHEC) coming soon.
The Job Shadowing Program is intended for those who have an interest in Health Care. Shadowing allows the participant to follow and observe a professional as they carry out their job responsibilities at Mercy Hospital Joplin. All shadowing is arranged through the Medical Education Department.
Individuals requesting a shadowing experience must be 16 years of age or older, enrolled in related high school, vo-tech, home-schooling, college courses, or be an adult who has expressed great interest in a health care career.
- Participants must review and complete the Shadow Information Packet, including:
- Job Shadow Application
- Appearance Guidelines
- Confidentiality Agreement
- Job Shadowing Agreement (Parental signature required for shadows under the age of 18)
- It is the responsibility of the individual participating in the shadowing experience to meet the following health screen requirements and provide appropriate documentation:
- Documentation of TB screening within the last 12 months
- Documentation of Hepatitis B vaccination status or declination
- Documentation of MMR vaccination status
- Documentation of current season’s influenza vaccination (only required if shadowing October through March)
Medical Students, Nurse Practitioner Students, Physician Assistant Students, Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist Students, and Residents interested in completing clinical rotations at Mercy must submit rotation requests to the Medical Education Department. The Medical Education Department coordinates and assigns all clinical preceptors for Mercy Joplin and Carthage. We request students not contact clinics directly.
An academic affiliation agreement signed by the program and Mercy must be in place prior to the confirmation of rotations. Students will be required to provide proof of medical malpractice coverage, clear drug screen and criminal background check, immunizations, TB screening, clinical objectives and a letter of good standing from the academic program.
Students in training programs not mentioned above may contact Mercy Joplin Talent Development and Optimization to discuss education training opportunities at 417-556-2271.
For More Information
- Office: 417-556-6939
- Fax: 417-556-2807