In September 1950, a community-run hospital called Rogers Memorial Hospital opened its doors. Within a few months, the medical staff realized they could not run their practices and staff the hospital at the same time. Knowing the good reputation of Catholic Sisters, they contacted a priest to see if they could connect with a religious order. In 1951, the first five Dominican Sisters arrived in Northwest Arkansas to oversee operations.
In the early 1990s, the Dominicans decided they could no longer continue to own and operate the hospital as a free-standing facility due to declining reimbursement and strong competition in the area. On November 9, 1995, the hospital (then known as St. Mary’s Hospital) was transferred to the Sisters of Mercy Health System.
In 2008, the hospital opened the doors to a brand new facility. Along with the new building, Mercy Medical Center also went live on Mercy’s electronic health record. In honor of the hospital’s history, the new chapel was named St. Mary’s Chapel.