- 12-month ASHP Candidate Status PGY-2 Pharmacy Ambulatory Care Residency
- Start date: 7/10/2023
PGY2 pharmacy residency programs build on Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) education and PGY1 pharmacy residency programs to contribute to the development of clinical pharmacists in specialized areas of practice. PGY2 residencies provide residents with opportunities to function independently as practitioners by conceptualizing and integrating accumulated experience and knowledge and incorporating both into the provision of patient care or other advanced practice settings. Residents who successfully complete an accredited PGY2 pharmacy residency are prepared for advanced patient care, academic, or other specialized positions, along with board certification, if available. The Mercy Hospital Springfield PGY-2 Residency in Ambulatory Care strives to empower pharmacists with the tools and experiences to develop the clinical, practice management and precepting skills to be successful ambulatory care pharmacy clinicians in a variety of practice settings. Completing an Ambulatory Care Residency at a large Community Health System allows the resident to develop practice management and service expansion skills in addition to building on clinical skills developed during a PGY-1 program. Mercy’s partnerships with multiple healthcare education programs, including schools of pharmacy, provide elective opportunities for residents to explore academic interests.
The Mercy Hospital Springfield PGY-2 Ambulatory Care Residency was established in 2021. The program is currently in candidate status. The site visit and survey for full ASHP Accreditation status were completed in the Spring of 2022 with no citations for areas of non-compliance. A final decision on accreditation is anticipated from the Commission on Credentialing in the Fall of 2022.
About Mercy Hospital Springfield
- Founded in 1891
- Accountable Care Organization
- Clinic and Outpatient Facilities: 233
- Mercy Clinic Physicians/Advanced Practice Clinicians: 927
- Outpatient Visits: 453,738 (annual, 2020)
- St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital Affiliate Clinic
- Hospital Beds: 947 licensed
- Level I Adult Trauma Center
- Mercy Co-Worker Benefits: Residents are eligible for health, dental, and vision insurance starting on their first day of work. Other benefits include paid time off and travel stipends for required meetings.
- ASHP Listing
- ASHP Code: 64901
- Deadline: First Friday in January
- Required Application Materials (to be submitted in PhORCAS)
- Letter of intent
- Current CV
- Copy of pharmacy academic transcript(s)
- PhORCAS Recommendation (3)
- Must include recommendation from PGY1 Residency Program Director