Thank you for your interest in a shadow/observation experience at Mercy. To be considered for a Mercy shadow/observation experience, all requirements must be submitted at least 3 weeks prior to the requested shadow start date.
- Participant is at least 16 years of age.
- Shadowing experience will be 40 hours or less (within one year).
- Participant will only observe without any hands-on interaction with a patient, medical equipment, medical records, computers, and will not enter an area of contamination such as isolation rooms, soiled linen areas, etc.
In response to the risks of the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact in our healthcare setting, Mercy requires all shadowers to have completed the COVID vaccine series before shadowing at Mercy. A copy of your COVID vaccination card is required BEFORE your rotation will be approved.
Mercy does not grant any exemptions or exceptions for shadowers for COVID vaccine compliance.
Next Steps to Apply
- Find a Mercy co-worker you wish to shadow to be your preceptor. Note: you are responsible to secure a preceptor before filling out the application. Please review the Tips on Finding a Mercy Preceptor.
- Print the Student/Shadow Vaccination Verification form and take it to your school nurse or physician to complete and sign.
- Obtain a complete COVID vaccine series prior to your shadowing rotation.
- Once you have secured a preceptor to shadow, fill out the online Shadow Application. Note: the application will expire 30 days after application is submitted or by the requested shadow start date if all required documents are not received by Mercy.