PGY1 Program Overview
- 12-month PGY-1 pharmacy residency program with ASHP pre-candidate status
- Number of available positions: 2
- Start date: 7/1/2021
ASHP PGY1 Residency Goals & Objectives
The PGY-1 pharmacy residency program at Mercy Hospital Northwest Arkansas contributes to the development of well-rounded pharmacists responsible for comprehensive medication-related care of patients with a wide range of conditions. Upon program completion, residents will be equipped for practice in a community hospital setting, eligible for board certification and prepared for PGY-2 residency training.
PGY1 Pharmacy Residency Learning Experiences
A broad range of clinical learning experiences is offered to provide the knowledge and skills necessary to develop a resident into an independent practitioner. As members of integrated health care teams, residents work cooperatively with other providers to deliver safe medication therapy and achieve optimal clinical outcomes. Service, teaching and scholarship are modeled and taught by residency preceptors to help the resident progress and apply the knowledge and skills required for a successful and rewarding career in clinical pharmacy.
Required Core Rotations
Each is a 4-week rotation, unless otherwise noted:
- Internal Medicine
- Infectious Disease
- Critical Care
- Emergency Medicine
- General Cardiology
- Geriatrics/Acute Rehab
- Antimicrobial Stewardship
- Practice Management
- Clinical Services Management
- Internal Medicine II
- Critical Care II
- Emergency Medicine II
- Medical Ethics
- Research project
- UAMS Teaching Certificate Program
- Medication Use Systems/Pharmacy & Therapeutics Committee (6 months)
- Pharmacy Administration/Medication Safety Committee (6 months)
Pharmacy Residency Application Process
Mercy Hospital Northwest Arkansas manages the application for its residency program through ASHP’s PhORCAS process.
- ASHP Residency Directory Listing
- ASHP Code: 71202
- NMS Code: 286413
- Letter of intent
- Current curriculum vitae
- Copy of pharmacy academic transcript(s)
- Letters of recommendation (3)
- November 2020: Applicants register for the Match via the shared PhORCAS/Match Portal. The portal is accessible from the applicant registration page or directly at portal.phorcas.org.
- December 31, 2020: Recommended date by which applicants should register for the Match
- Mid to late January 2021: Interviews offered via email
- March 5, 2021: Deadline to submit rank list via PhORCAS
- March 19, 2021: Phase I Match Results Day
- If positions are available in Phase II of the Match, deadlines will be provided through PhORCAS and ASHP.
ASHP Pharmacy Residency at Mercy Hospital NWA
At Mercy Hospital Northwest Arkansas, we’re pioneering a new model of care and welcome those who share our passion to get health care right. We provide 24/7 comprehensive, hospitalist-led, patient-centered care for our community of Northwest Arkansas.
Mercy Co-worker Benefits
Residents are eligible for health, dental and vision insurance starting on their first day of work. Other benefits include paid time off and travel stipends for the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting and MidSouth Pharmacy Residents Conference.