March 27, 2017
Mercy Hospital St. Louis Imaging Services has been named to the Lung Cancer Alliance Screening Centers of Excellence list. Centers included in this national network follow the principles laid out in the National Framework for Excellence in Lung Cancer Screening and Continuum of Care.
Among the criteria to achieve this annual designation:
- Follow the ACR (American College of Radiology) guidelines for lung screenings
- A multidisciplinary team that meets once a month to discuss certain cases. Mercy St. Louis' team includes individuals from Medical Oncology, Radiation Oncology, Thoracic surgery, Pulmonary Medicine, Nursing, Radiology, Nuclear Medicine physicians, pathologists, residents and Palliative Care physicians.
- Risks and benefits are discussed with the patients who meet the criteria for lung screenings
- The length of time it takes for the patient to receive lung screening results and by what method
- Offer smoking cessation resources with follow-up appointments