Lincoln County Memorial Hospital welcomed its first patient on April 16, 1953. Long before the doors opened, plans for a hospital in Lincoln County were being made. The hospital’s first board of trustees was appointed in 1946.
Construction began in 1952 and the 50-bed hospital was scheduled to open at 7 a.m. on April 16, 1953. However, Mr. and Mrs. Roy McCormack, of Ethlyn, came to the hospital in the early hours of the morning, and became the parents of the first baby born at Lincoln County Memorial Hospital. Brenda Kay, the McCormacks' 12th child, jumped the gun on the opening of the hospital by making her appearance at 5:09 a.m. that morning. Dr. Joe C. Creech, of Troy, was the attending physician.
The hospital came under the sponsorship of Mercy in 2015.