Lincoln County Memorial Hospital welcomed its first patient on April 16, 1953. Long before the doors opened, plans for a hospital in Lincoln County were being made. The hospital’s first board of trustees was appointed in 1946.
Construction began in 1952 and the 50-bed hospital was scheduled to open at 7 a.m. on April 16, 1953. However, Mr. and Mrs. Roy McCormack, of Ethlyn, came to the hospital in the early hours of the morning, and became the parents of the first baby born at Lincoln County Memorial Hospital. Brenda Kay, the McCormacks' 12th child, jumped the gun on the opening of the hospital by making her appearance at 5:09 a.m. that morning. Dr. Joe C. Creech, of Troy, was the attending physician.
The hospital came under the sponsorship of Mercy in 2015.
Just the Facts
- American College of Radiology Gold Seal for "highest level of image quality and patient safety" in CT, MRI, mammography, ultrasound and nuclear medicine imaging.
- The Joint Commission
- American College of Radiology
- College of American Pathologists
About Mercy Overall
Mercy, named one of the top five large U.S. health systems for four consecutive years (2016 to 2019) by IBM Watson Health, serves millions annually. Mercy includes more than 40 acute care, managed and specialty (heart, children's, orthopedic and rehab) hospitals, 900 physician practices and outpatient facilities, 45,000 co-workers and 2,400 Mercy Clinic physicians in Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma. Mercy also has clinics, outpatient services and outreach ministries in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. In addition, Mercy's IT division, Mercy Technology Services, and Mercy Virtual commercially serve providers and patients from coast to coast.
By the Numbers (Fiscal Year 2018)
- Staffed Beds: 19
- Co-workers: 354
- Mercy Clinic Physicians: 18
- Acute Inpatient Discharges: 598
- Surgeries (Inpatient and Outpatient): 554
- Emergency Visits: 12,558
- Outpatient Visits: 41,186
- Traditional Charity Care: $706,000
- Unreimbursed Medicaid: $816,000
- Other Community Benefit: $98,000