Patients who qualify for weight-loss surgery (also known as bariatric surgery) have various options, including gastric sleeve surgery. The gastric sleeve procedure reduces the size and shape of the stomach which helps you to lose weight by limiting the amount of food you can eat at a given time.
How does gastric sleeve surgery work?
- About 85 percent of the stomach, including the upper portion which produces a hunger stimulating hormone called ghrelin, is removed so that your stomach takes on the shape of a tube or sleeve.
- Gastric sleeve surgery does not require cutting or rerouting your small intestine and does not involve implanting a weight-loss device.
- This procedure is performed laparoscopically, meaning the surgeon makes several small incisions and uses tiny instruments to remove the stomach, rather than making one large incision.
How much weight will I lose with gastric sleeve surgery?
- The average patient usually loses 50 to 60 percent of excess weight in the first 18 months of surgery. Of course, diet and exercise impact the amount weight loss success.
- For those who suffer from extreme obesity or other health problems that disqualify them from having gastric bypass surgery or gastric banding, doctors may suggest gastric sleeve surgery as an alternative.
- In some cases, gastric sleeve surgery is the first step in a staged approach to weight loss.
- While the gastric sleeve restricts the amount of food that can be eaten at any one time, it does not restrict any certain foods from the diet, since the digestive system still functions normally.
If you think you might qualify for weight-loss surgery or have questions about the gastric sleeve procedure and other types of weight-loss surgery, please contact your local Mercy bariatric specialists.
For more information on various weight loss treatments, pre-surgery assessments, life after surgery and more, download the Mercy Bariatric Surgery Treatment Guide.
As always, our care team is here to provide you with the best care and get you back to living life to its fullest.
- 1400 Highway 61 South
Festus, MO 63028
- (636) 933-8135
Hours of Operations:
Monday-Friday: 8am - 4:30pm
- 851 E. Fifth Street
Washington, MO 63090
- (636) 861-7891
Hours of Operations:
Monday-Friday: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.