FOR A LIST OF THE 2015 RECIPIENTS, CLICK HERE.
By Mercy's Laura Keep
Mercy continues to respond to the needs of the communities it serves, whether it’s providing needed funds to stock food pantries, purchasing dental supplies and equipment, supplying flu vaccines or offering counseling for those in crisis.
This year, 28 social service agencies across six states will receive grants as part of the Mercy Caritas and Catherine McAuley Area of Greatest Need grant programs. Mercy Caritas (caritas meaning “charity” in Latin) was established in 1987 to provide funds to health and human services programs that meet unique community needs.
Now in its 24th year of operation, Mercy Caritas is providing a total of $500,000 in grants to the recipients listed below. The Catherine McAuley fund offers an additional $100,000 in grant funding supported by Mercy ministry office co-workers as part of the annual Mercy Way campaign.
The money is awarded to programs in communities where Mercy serves. This year’s recipients include:
- Mercy Crest Retirement Living, Barling, Arkansas – Funding for 24 residents in the greatest need
- Loaves & Fishes Food Bank of the Ozarks – Food for Hungry Kids, Berryville, Arkansas – Funds provided to purchase food items
- Good Samaritan Clinic, Fort Smith, Arkansas – Funding for programs.
- Mercy Fort Smith Mobile Clinic – Health Screenings and Disease Prevention, Fort Smith, Arkansas – Funds for direct patient care services
- The Society of St. Vincent de Paul – Food Pantry, Rogers, Arkansas – Funds provided to purchase food items
- Samaritan Community Center – Snack Pack for Kids, Rogers, Arkansas – Funds provided to purchase food items
- Mercy Hospice Fort Scott, Fort Scott, Kansas – Funds to help economically poor Hospice patients connect with long-distance loved ones electronically
- Mercy Family Center – Mercy Learning Center, Mandeville, Louisiana – Funding for learning specialists
- Community Health in Partnership Services Health & Wellness Center – Healthcare Beyond Walls, St. Louis, Missouri – Funds for part-time community outreach nurse, supplies, and banners
- ALIVE, Inc. – ALIVE in Missouri, St. Louis, Missouri – Funds for intake counseling and court advocacy costs
- Mercy Health Foundation Washington – Medication Assistance Program, Washington, Missouri – Funds for medications
- Community Health Clinic of Joplin – Homeless Flu Vaccination Project, Joplin, Missouri – Funds for flu vaccines and sharps disposal
- Mercy Health Foundation Joplin – Medication Assistance Program, Joplin, Missouri – Funds for medications
- Good Samaritan Care Clinic – Facilitating Access to Dental Care for the Uninsured, Mountain View, Missouri – Funding for dental supplies and equipment
- Children’s Smile Center – Dental Care for Children and Pregnant Women, Ozark, Missouri – Funds to purchase a portable x-ray machine
- Council of Churches of the Ozarks – Ambassadors for Children, Springfield, Missouri – Funding for clothing and beds for abused children
- Catholic Charities of Southern Missouri – Life House Crisis Maternity Home, Springfield, Missouri – Funding for programs and services
- The Kitchen Medical Clinic, Springfield, Missouri – Funding for program expenses
- Isabel’s House Crisis Nursery of the Ozarks – Family Long-Term Sustainability Project, Springfield, Missouri – Funding for washer/dryer and minivan for Crisis Nursery
- Council of Churches of the Ozarks – Safe to Sleep, Springfield, Missouri – Funds for the shelter and supplies for residents
- Mercy Health Foundation Ada – Care Management Patient Services Program, Ada, Oklahoma – Pilot program to manage all aspects of care for a targeted group of patients with recurring illness
- Good Shepherd Community Clinic, Inc. – Mercy Diabetes Partnership, Ardmore, Oklahoma – Funds for supplies needed by patients with diabetes
- C/SARA Foundation – Child Advocacy and Sexual Assault Response, Ardmore, Oklahoma – Funds to cover intake and training in order to expand into other communities
- Good Samaritan Health Clinic of Edmond – Population Health Management, Edmond, Oklahoma – Funds for medications
- Health Alliance for the Uninsured – Diabetic Eye Project Preventing Adult Blindness, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma – Funding for diabetic eye exams and equipment
- Good Shepherd Catholic School at Mercy – The Discovery Program, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma – Funds provided for Discovery room for Autistic children
- Mercy Clinic Oklahoma City – Mercy in Schools, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma – Funds for people in crisis and promotional materials
- Casa de Misericordia – Domestic Violence Program, Laredo, Texas – Funds for medical fees and medications as well as program supplies and learning instructors