The opening of Mercy Hospital Joplin brings an unprecedented leap forward in health care while fulfilling a promise not just to rebuild, but build a stronger community. Mercy’s commitment to Joplin dates to 1896 when the Sisters of Mercy began caring for this community.
When there was a need, Mercy answered. Today, we need the Joplin community to join with us and insist that all our neighbors have Mercy as a health care option.
Patients will benefit from the latest technologies and design innovations:
- Large combined labor, delivery and recovery rooms keep families together as new moms remain in one room for their entire stay – not available elsewhere in the region.
- Birthing center includes secure access for labor and delivery rooms, ensuring babies and families are safe during their stay.
- State-of-the-art emergency department next to imaging and operating rooms for faster diagnostics and treatment.
- Telemedicine provides life-saving care for patients who suffer from stroke and dangerous complications from infection. Mercy’s technology monitors and manages care in a radically new way with centralized early alerts to flag patients at the first sign of trouble.
- Intuitive design makes it easier for patients and visitors to find their way.
- Intensive care that has won national recognition for providing an added level of attention to the sickest patients. Medical experts at the bedside are helped by off-site, critical-care doctors and nurses in monitoring patients 24/7. This teamwork reduces lengths of stay, improves care and saves lives.
- Integrated electronic health record connects patient care within the hospital, across Joplin and throughout Mercy, coordinating care to ensure healthier patients while eliminating testing duplications.
- Accredited cancer center provides comprehensive care through a full range of diagnostic and treatment services.
- Storm-hardened facility with precast concrete shell, windows that can withstand high winds and partially buried generators for backup power in an emergency